Friday, April 29, 2011

Energy

A squirrel made a nest in my flower box over the winter. I was amazed watching her add to her new home every day. My fake flowers disappeared and reappeared in the intertwined blanket of leaves, branches, and fake ivy. While I missed the pretty flowers, I thought the little critter who had burrowed her way into my home and heart needed them more.
A baby squirrel has now joined our family and has quite actively taken on her mother’s endeavor to build a better nest.  More fake flowers are disappearing and the little one is quite active in her exercise.  The energy of youth came back is a very real reminder.
I have two cats who love to watch the antics of both squirrels and all seem to have made  place for themselves in our disfunctional family.
My daughter also joins in as we watch the nest building. She is not quite as impressed as I am, for she builds her own nests thoughout our home. Currently, she has a nest of blankets and pillows in the middle of our living room floor where she’s opened a very large umbrella to enclose her nest. The peace and serenity she enjoys brings a smile to my face.
The energy of the squirrels, of my cats and my daughter flows through me and inspires me. While I am not as active psychically as they are while they enjoy their antics, my mind is active in its pursuit of plot, characters and motivations.
Our capacity to build, expand, seek out new lands and adventures in pursuit of a better life for us and our young is not only human nature, but animal nature as well. This addition of our squirrel and now her baby have given me a glimpse into the building of a community. Strangers with different motivations and pursuits coming together and living harmoniously in a small space.
Energy.  What moves you? Physically and mentally?
~Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Woudl be a fabulous thing to gather some of the squirrel's energy and bottle that stuff. ;)

    And the picture is golden!

    ReplyDelete