Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Band-aid

Continuing on with the A-Z Blog challenge, B is for Band-aid.
My daughter always begs me for a band-aid whenever she bumps an arm or leg or even thinks she felt a bump. My first question is usually “Are you bleeding?” Most of the time the answer is ‘no’.  She still thinks that a band-aid is needed and I usually give in and cover a scrape that heals with a warm washcloth.
So, in writing…When do I apply a band-aid to fix a minor problem or pull out the thick bandages, or gulp, grab the scissors for some major stitching?
I’m having trouble deciding on whether I want to look at my first novel as one that only needs band-aid fixes, or whether it needs a major overhaul.  I can’t decide, so instead, I’ve put it aside and plotted out two other books and thinking about the third.  It’s my first book, so I’m especially attached and just proud of the darn thing because it was a fevered, compelling accomplishment for me. 350 pages of sweat and tears went into it.  It’s tough to tell how much of it really needs to be repaired.
Soon, I’ll go back for another look, but until then. The band-aids and the scissors are sitting quietly next to my computer.
~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment