Friday, August 19, 2011

Common Sense is Not So Common

Every now and again I am reminded of my favorite quote. Voltaire's statement seems so apropos, that I go back to my list of favorite quotes and reread them all over again to touch up on perspective.  

Whether it's in my day job, in politics, in parenting, it's amazing how often I shake my head at how similar and dissimilar we can be. And I wonder. Which side of the 'common sense' do I fall on? 

As I'm writing, I'm also watching the TV series, "Who do you think you are?". Following the ancestors of Steve Buscemi and even thinking back to my ancestors, I now ask myself, who defines 'common sense'?  The enterprising men and women who leave their homelands in hopes of a better future amaze me. The hardships and tribulations that they have gone through have me wondering what they were thinking.  Had they listened to 'common sense', this country would be a different place.  

Is there any 'common sense' that you didn't follow and it turned out to be the best thing you've done? 

~Melissa

"Common sense is not so common." ~Voltaire

No comments:

Post a Comment